Sean graduated from the National University of Singapore in 1998 with honours, and was admitted to the Singapore bar in 1999. Prior to joining Keystone Law Corporation, Sean was a director of JCO LLC, which was a member of DLA group of international law firms, and subsequently joined Ang & Partners as a partner upon the merger of Ang & Partners with JCO LLC. Sean was also seconded to the London office of DLA, where he was exposed to a number of cross-border international matters involving contentious matters of legal and technical complexity.
Sean’s area of practice focuses on dispute resolution, including building & construction litigation, commercial & criminal litigation, debt recovery, defamation, employment disputes, insolvency, landlord and tenant disputes and product liability. In particular, Sean has advised and acted for shareholders, directors and companies in minority oppression disputes, and has also advised and acted for Singapore-listed companies in claims against ex-directors for fraud and breach of fiduciary duties. In addition, he has advised and represented accused persons charged with white-collar criminal offences such as insider trading and fraud.
Apart from litigation, Sean has extensive experience in other alternative modes of dispute resolution such as mediation and arbitration, having advised and represented parties in arbitrations under, inter alia, the American Arbitration Association Rules (in an international media-related dispute), the ICC Rules (in a dispute involving the national airlines of 2 South East Asian countries), the Uncitral Arbitration Rules and the Singapore International Arbitration Centre Domestic Arbitration Rules.
Sean’s practice also involves general corporate and commercial work, including joint ventures, sale and purchase of shares in private limited companies and technology licenses. In addition, Sean also acts in the purchase, sale and mortgage of residential and industrial properties, having represented individuals, corporate entities and banks in the same.
Some of the highlights in Sean’s practice include:-
• the first reported case in Singapore on the applicability of the “newspaper rule” in KLW Holdings Limited vs. Singapore Press Holdings Limited – pertaining to pre-action discovery for identity of source in a proposed defamation action against the press; successfully persuaded the High Court that the rule is not applicable in Singapore.
• the first reported case in the Commonwealth involving the treatment of votes cast by proxy in contravention of express instructions of the shareholder in question in Tong Keng Meng @ Melvin Tong vs. Inno-Pacific Holdings Limited & Ors.
• acting for the vendors in the sale of the Singapore franchise for an international car rental brand.
• representing publishers in a claim by Singapore media company in the High Court for alleged infringement of copyright and passing off.
• advising and representing a Singapore-listed company in the High Court against its former Chairman and CEO in respect of fraud/breaches of fiduciary duties committed against the company; successfully obtained Mareva injuction freezing the assets of the said Defendant.
• advising owners in a dispute in the construction of a coal-fired power plant in West Java, Indonesia – pertaining to damage to structures installed on-site, defective works and delay.
• Representing noteholders of Baring Futures (Singapore) Pte Ltd and London liquidators of Barings PLC & Barings Securities Limited – pertaining to the liquidation of Baring Futures (Singapore) Pte Ltd in the High Court.
Sean is a director of Keystone Law Corporation
DID: 6226 1433